Maria Burges Whinney was one of the founder members of the Coach-house Gallery.
She was born in Plymouth in 1914 and during the early 1930s studied painting in Paris at Les Trois Ateliers under the direction of Dutch artist Conrad.
She held her first one-person exhibition in Athens in 1950 and upon returning to England studied Etching in printmaking at Brighton Art School under Dick Cowern, R.A.
Maria exhibited in England at the Royal Academy, Royal Society of Portrait Painters, the Royal Institute, the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers in the Society of Marine Painters.
In France she was an Associate of La Societe des Artistes Francais (Paris Salon) and received the following awards from them: Mention Honorable (for Painting) 1972, Bronze Medal (for Etching) 1974 and a Silver Medal (for Etching) 1975.
She was also a member of the Societe Arts, Sciences, Lettres and was awarded their Medaille de Vermeille in 1980. She received the prize of the International Art Bulletin for Etching in Monte Carlo in 1976 and was awarded the Silver Medal for Aquatint and Bronze Medal for Marine Etching at Lyons in 1979.
Maria’s work was also shown at international exhibitions in Biarritz and Bayeux.
She signed her work M.B.W.